Tuesday 1 May 2012

Friends are the Sunshine of Life

I can't believe this is my first DT card for the Bearly Mine Challenge, I'm so excited about being invited to join this fab team.


We have a great sponsor this week



and the prize for one lucky winner is a $20 Gift Certificate to spend at The Paper Shelter.

The theme for this weeks challenge is 'Friendship' and I was determined to use this lovely Faye Whittaker image, so I got out my stamp, ink pad and pens, sat down at my desk and three hours later this was the best I could do:


It didn't matter how hard I tried I just could not colour the image to my satisfaction and there was no way I was going to put that on a card, especially not my first DT card for the Bearly Mine Challenge.

I was so upset because although, as you all know I love CD crafting and in particular decoupage, I am determined to do more stamping and colouring especially after someone left the following comment on one of my cards 'so the image comes that way and all you do is stick it on a card?'  I have to say I don't think it is that easy because you have to cut everything out and you still have to design the card for the image to go on and often finding papers to match an image rather than colouring the image to match the papers can take forever - it is a lot easier when you have loads of Bearly Mine Designs digi sets at your disposal!

Anyway, there was nothing else to do but get out my Joanna Sheen Fay Whittaker CD.  This image is on the CD both as decoupage and in the toppers section, rather than use the decoupage version I decided to use the medium size topper and cut my own decoupage - the ready made version is quite large and has loads of layers - I made four layers.

I used one of the smaller images on the inside of my card that has been decorated to complement the front:


The fab papers are from the Bearly Mine Designs digi sets - Mini Dots and Spring Delights and I think they match the image perfectly.  I punched the border with a Fiskars edge punch and did manage to stamp the sentiment successfully.   Finally I added some pink buttons and used pink raffia for the bow because I thought raffia suited the seaside image.


So there you have it, I can't colour scenes and I admire anyone that can, but I don't agree that using decoupage is just a matter of 'cutting it out and sticking it on a card' and I'm pretty sure quite a few of you agree with me.

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:

Diva's by Design Challenge 32 - Buttons and/or Bows
Aud Sentiments Challenge - Anything Goes
Lollipop Crafts Challenge 78 - Anything Goes
Crafty Catz Challenge 130 - Anything Goes
Deep Ocean Challenge 24 - Use Punches/Dies
My Mum's Craft Shop Challenge 54 - The great Outdoors
Dream Valley Challenge 31 - For a Special Lady
Paper Crafting Journey Challenge 8 - Vintage (I think this is a vintage image)
Sketch N Stash Challenge 86 - Doreen's Sketch (buttons and raffia from stash)

Cupcake Craft Challenge 190 - Best of British (Photo Inspiration) - A day at the seaside


Make sure you visit the Bearly Mine Challenge Blog to take a look at the DT inspiration and join in with this weeks challenge, don't forget the fab prize this week is a $20 Gift Certificate to spend at The Paper Shelter.

Well I hope you managed to stay awake, I think this is probably the longest post I have ever made, thank you for visiting today, please come back soon.

Pauline
x



24 comments:

Laine said...

Pauline

Your card is wonderful. Your use of colour, the wonderful image and of course the fabulous papers.

Hugs

Laine

X

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Hi Pauline your card is lovely and what a beautiful image!! I think you are being too hard on yourself as your coloured one looks lovely too! I would pay no attention to that 'kind' comment they are obviously not a card maker!! xx

Doreen said...

What a gorgeous creation,love the image and papers.xxx

Nannieflash said...

Hi Pauline, what a fabulous card I love how youve used one of Joanna Sheens images as it goes so beautifully with Donnas papers. hugs Shirleyxxxxxx

KandA said...

It's a beautiful card. I love the decoupage as it gives so much depth to the image and the card is put together so well with the colours and papers

Seafield Jo said...

Your card is beautiful Pauline, both inside and out, and the rafia works perfectly with the image. I think your coloured version is lovely and you are being too hard on yourself (typical crafter :0) ).

As for the comment left, you and I both know how much time you can spend cutting out just 1 decoupage design, and the patience required to cut it out properly. I know many crafters aren't able to achieve this, we are all good at different things.

In my experience, it's the decoupaged cards that get the most reaction. As you rightly say, they are far from quick as (apart from the cutting out) you have to find papers that work with your design, even with lots of cd's to hand, this can be very time-consuming, and you still have to design your card.

Card-making provides us crafters with many hours of enjoyment, and we all get enjoyment out of different areas of craft. Don't let anyone put you off doing what you enjoy, especially when you do it so well.

Jo xx

Tracey Manderson said...

well now i have found someone even worse than me!! lol, I think your attempt looks great! But your card is amazing!!! Great work Hun!!
Hugs
Tracey
xx

Kym's Crafty Cards said...

Pauline, you first card for the DT is gorgeous. I will have to say that I thought your coloured image was fine - we maybe are too critical of ourselves sometimes. It doesn't help in the past when I've had a comment like you had. Yes stamping/colouring is an art but so is normal decoupage. Most people can punch out die-cut decoupage or toppers from sheets but actually taking the time to cut out decoupage is certainly an art in itself at times when an image can be more complicated. I compare decoupage cards to the level of stamped cards or stamped/digi image cards as it can take some time to do both. I also love to see a variety of different cards on blogs so you just keep it up.

Best wishes, Kym xxx

Rosietoes said...

Gorgeous card Pauline. Love everything about it!

Edna x

Pat K said...

Hi Pauline, My first time visiting - jumped on your blog to have a closer look at this lovely card. What a beautiful creation for your first DT post. Very, very pretty. Hugs, Pat K.

~@ngie~ said...

wow this is stunning.. I love the image its sooo sweet & I love the papers etc :)

Thanx for joining in with us over at SNS.... good luck ;)

Hugz Angie xXx

Claire said...

Gorgeous card Pauline, love the image. Hugs, Claire x

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Pauline
A gorgeous card love the beautiful image and colour's you have used
Hugs Dianne xx :)

Jill said...

gorgeous card love your layout and the papers thanks for joining us at MMCS hugs Jill xx

Carol said...

This is gorgeous Pauline, the papers are perfect for the image and you've finished it off beautifully.
I'm always amazed at the number of crafter's who can't think beyond a stamp! You kind commenter obviously has no idea how much time and effort is put into a decoupaged card. Carol x

deesdesigns said...

The amount of detail you have on this card is amazing - it is absolutely stunning. You should be very proud of yourself - love it!!! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us for our Anything Goes challenge at Aud Sentiments!

Carly said...

Pauline!!! Gorgeous!!!! WOW!!!!

ooxxxxooooxxxoo Carly

Chrissie said...

Such a lovely card Pauline!
I adore Faye Whittaker's images and your papers and colour palette suit this image perfectly.
Thanks for joining in with Sketch N Stash.
Chrissie xx

Sue B said...

Wow! this is gorgeous Pauline. I love the image and the papers and layout are absolutely stunning! and you have decorated inside so beautifully too!!
I think your coloured image looks really good!!! it looks like a watercolour painting. I think we are always too hard on ourselves - I know I am!!!
as for the comment about just sticking an image on - well ... decoupage and pyramage is actually quite an art form and it takes quite a while to do it properly. I love doing it and it looks so wonderful - and you do it to perfection hun!!!
Big Hugs!
Sue xx

Shelly said...

Pauline this is a great idea for a very British event... we all love the seaside and have fab beaches in the UK! Lovely card for my Best of British challenge at Cupcake this week! Hugs, Shelly x

Faye said...

This is a gorgeous card, I love your day at the beach theme. Thanks so much for playing at Cupcake this week. Good Luck. x

Franz♥ said...

Fab work Pauline, a piece of art!

Thanks for joining us at Deep Ocean this forthnight.

Hugs, Franz.

coldwaters2 said...

Wow, wow, wow, Pauline this is absolutely beautiful, that image is stunning it also holds a little bit of nostalgia, the papers you have sued and the design look superb.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Andie's Space said...

Hi Pauline,
This looks gorgeous. What an lovely image & your design is wonderful. Great take on our sketch. Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Stash & Divas By Design.
Hugs,
Andie xx